Mini-Antag: Luminary

HugoLuman

1 hour ago, KingPhilipIII said:

I'll be honest as a midround antag the tech levels are pointless R&D will already be maxed out by then.

What if the luminary could eat tech levels as an objective? 

If it has any tech level at 7 it would make getting to 8 in that level possible, if it has 8 in any it will make skipping to 8 possible, and getting to 9 theoretically possible. The former can only be done otherwise via anomalies, and the latter is outright impossible currently.

And yes, there are things that require an 8 in certain tech levels to create. So if it has high enough levels, it most certainly would not be a waste of time to get tech levels using it.

Edited by Jountax

14 hours ago, KingPhilipIII said:

I'll be honest as a midround antag the tech levels are pointless R&D will already be maxed out by then.

Hopefully not. As someone who plays RD, I don't like when tech levels are maxed at 12:30. It's a science station, do experimentor work, do some XB, do telescience, but don't /rush/ RnD.

Edited by Bobalobdob

On 20/11/2017 at 1:45 AM, KingPhilipIII said:

I see no harm in it being an option, though. It's one of three choices, all of which are perfectly reasonable for destroying an antag. 

Love the idea. +1

• 3 weeks later...

Well to be honest I haven't seen Revenant play that much, so I'm not sure how good an answer this is. But the main difference is it's not preying on the crew directly, for the most part, and engineering can do a lot to fight it.

• 2 weeks later...

This is seriously different from a revenant and not even close to a shadowling. It’s obviously weaker than a revenant and not as abusive. Revenant typically abuse their powers in many ways and can make a round unenjoyable very easily by just EMPing everything. Hopefully this can’t murder IPCs and borgs and ruin a shift as quickly. Also I don’t think this can be compared as closely to any antag we have currently due to its limited movement by energy and powers not purposed for murder.

I think this would be much nicer to have around and a midround and I wish it can be added as soon as possible.

1 minute ago, KingPhilipIII said:

Ace I was referencing shadowlings with regards to a question about who would be stronger. An ascended shadowling or a luminary at maximum power. More of a lore based question.

I guess that would have to be a “when finished we may find out” question. Also I wasn’t trying to be hostile just saying I don’t think a new antag with this kind of setup could be compared to what we already have in terms of danger. It’s quite different and looks fun rather than a murder monster e.g. revenant or shadowling. Lore wise I can’t really say.

I really love this, though when I heard the "interacting with machines", my inner scientist screamed "SECURINGS THE RND SERVER"

If it drains on the surplus of energy in the grid, it'll become god in five minutes during most rounds. We always almost have 500,000W+ in the grid and the station uses around 300,000-350,000 at its peak, so be careful with that. (If the engineers forget to turn off the solars output too, it can even reach 700k...) So while I support the idea, try to balance it for the sake of less experienced engineers.

Also I wonder if it gets gibbed by a suddenly hotwired TEG

I see it uses the same (?) animation for siphoning as the Tesla rays. It'll give me many heartattacks, but I still want it ingame! Good luck with it.

Edited by Zuki

• 2 weeks later...

Would kinda be cool if they "ventcrawled" through power cables rather than "bloodcrawling". Maybe with its own little crackling sound too, like pipe sounds. APCs would act as exit "vents".

This could even be expanded a little where they naturally get pulled towards power generation sources in the grid, which instantly kills them or something, so they're always fighting upstream and reaching areas away from engineering is hard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vivalas said:

Would kinda be cool if they "ventcrawled" through power cables rather than "bloodcrawling". Maybe with its own little crackling sound too, like pipe sounds. APCs would act as exit "vents".

This could even be expanded a little where they naturally get pulled towards power generation sources in the grid, which instantly kills them or something, so they're always fighting upstream and reaching areas away from engineering is hard.

Cable-crawling sounds amazing.

This has already been discussed on discord, and has been found impossible. Cables can go diagonally and vents cannot. No diagonal movement code exists.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bxil said:

This has already been discussed on discord, and has been found impossible. Cables can go diagonally and vents cannot. No diagonal movement code exists.

Are you sure? Pretty sure I've seen SNPCs move diagonally. Unless you mean there's no code for the player input part.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah there is no player input for diagonal movement, things can move diagonally fine though. It could be made so holding a certain direction while cablewalking figures out diagonals automatically, or we could just port diagonal movement. (or just allow diagonal input when in cables)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use