Give Wiznerds Objective (or just remove the gamemode)

SP00K_E

The only objective a wizard has is to murderbone. It's just a free for all killing spree that lasts for over an hour with many ways to make victims unable to be revived. The only people who have fun in this game mode are the rampant validhunters and the wizards. Can we have wizards fixed already? Without any true objective the gamemode just turns into a slog of spectating the wizard hiding in maintenance then popping out and sending 4-5 people to the spectator zone. Over and over again for up to 2 hours.

• Like 1
  • Salt 9

Wizards actually used to have objectives that were the same as traitor objectives, but I think was changed for some reason or another (probably to encourage wizards to cause more chaos).

I also agree that wizard rounds can end up becoming a slow drag (especially with lich wizards) 30 minutes or so in, since most of the people that would possible a threat (command, security, AI) would ended being disabled/killed.

I think there should be a automatic shuttle call x amounts of minutes (20 - 30 minutes) after the wizard steps on the station.

Old wizards were super boring. I'll echo streaky.

Either they were ~FRIENDLY~ or they just did their objectives, teleported to an unreachable location and AFK'd in a locker until it was shuttle time, then made their way for a pod.

It was boring and repetitive---and friendly wizards can burn in hell.

• Like 1

I was going to make a suggestion thread on wizards but this thread will suffice.

Old wizards were even more boring, Streaky and Fox are correct. Unless admins spiced things up it was even more lame than the chaos objective.

The real problem with wizard rounds though is the volatile nature of how they suddenly end without warning and 4 no. raisin. A single target for the crew to valid hunt isn't particularly entertaining anymore in and of itself.

My suggestion for remedying this:

Instead of the round ending when a wizard dies, have wizard rounds proc an additional wizard when the existing wizard dies (up to three wizards total, or until the 1 hour mark) and should the third wizard die (or a wizard die after the one hour mark) have a shuttle be automatically called instead of the round suddenly and jarringly ending.

In addition to this, the crew needs something more interesting to do than just valid hunt with explosive lances and ranged weapons. To fix this, give the entire crew a written or un-written ("capture the wizard alive") objective and some mechanic of shipping restrained but living wizards to CC (cargo shuttle perhaps?). The result of doing this means the shuttle is called and no more wizards come (total crew victory). If it would be appropriate to incentivize this, "summon magic" could also be triggered upon doing so as a thank you from CC (an incentive to capture rather than kill) with some IC explanation about finding their scroll or experimenting on/extorting the wizard they were sent.

Trying to capture a wizard is a whole lot more interesting than trying to kill them. You usually need to remove their clothes but also render them unconscious somehow or else get a muzzle on them (muzzles prevent magic casting right?). The threat of additional wizards as punishment for merely killing it and the reward of summon magic should motivate crew sufficiently, and the 3 wizard/1 hour limit + shuttle call ending should greatly improve how unsatisfying it is when wizard rounds suddenly and unexpectedly end.

I feel like part of the problem may be that wizards are so wildly different based on their loadout choices. Artificer + Soul Stones or Necromancy Stone makes you a conversion antag; Mind Swap, No Clothes and Seer Stone makes you able to be a stealthy style antag; and just general combat abilities (as well as summon guns and summon magic) make you like a nukie without a nuke to set off. Naturally this means people who find conversion antags annoying, people who find stealth antags boring, and people who don't care for Nukie-style antags will all have fought a wizard like that at some point and hated it.

Edited by Jountax

I'm a meme wizard that goes around with a staff of change.

Staff of change, ethereal jaunt, blink, wand belt, charge, a bottle of tickles and instant recall. Just go around turning the crew into stuff and skidaddling.

You'll have a lot of angry people who got gibbed because the game can be stupid with change stuff, especially for monkeys changing, but then you also have glorious moments like Syndie-Assault borg conga lines that are hunting you down. I find it fun, and my chaos is VERY far reaching and very noticable.

I generally get positive feedback to this kind of style.

I think ragin' might be better as the actual game-mode, with a Major event being a single wizard, perhaps, with objectives not too unlike what the revenant has (Avoid being seen/torment the clown/help existing threats when they need it)

• Like 1

I'm of the position that all whiners should be sent to the pits to die a slow and painful death, but that said.

Wouldn't making wizard a late-round thing in other rounds just add to the whining factor?

"OH I WAS ANTAG AND I GOT GIBBED BY A WIZARD, I DESERVED THAT VICTORY AND HE TOOK IT FROM ME"

• Like 1

If there is no way to fix wizards being a terribly unfun game mode, then we should just remove it from rotation like other game modes that couldn't be fixed. Since giving wizards non-murderbone objectives will to some just make the gamemode even more boring than it already is, I see no other way to fix it as a gamemode.

As other people suggest maybe we should make wizards an event and remove some of their more round-destroying abilities like the summoning demons and such. Anything is honestly better than what we have now.

• Like 1
  • Salt 3

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use