Can We Please Have a Backstory section on our charectars.

Darjeeling

Typically playing a surgeon I don't get anyone to talk to, so I put my backstory in my Flavor text, with an image so that people may know what to expect when talking to my IPC. I figured the bwoinking would stop once I applied the image, but no... Even though I have more art of her coming ETC.

Anyway...The addition of a backstory tab I reckon would be a great addition. And it isn't really all that hard...just a new text thing whatever...I hated coding in college.

The flavor text is just for things visible at a glance about your character. Ultimately, the onus is on you to tell your character's story with RP and interactions with other players, ideally in an organic way and not by massive monologues.

If you want people to readily access info about the char to take into OOC consideration, may I suggest making a character record and perhaps linking to it in the flavor text? I don't know if there's any policy for or against that, but it certainly is better than a text wall being launched at someone giving you a quick look over.

Edited by SomeGuy9283
edited for clarity
  • Like 1

Like @SomeGuy9283 just make a crew report and then link that to your flavor text if you want people to get access to your backstory. Honestly, i think it's cooler if you can develop a character well enough to have people beign interested in your story, but you are free to write one down in the crew reports of the forums and paste the link inside your flavor text

We already do technically if you count medical/security records which you can customize in the char preferences screen, nobody ever checks them though. I should know I've had a ridiculous copy pasta as mine for 2 years now that has yet to be picked up on.

Edited by Doukan
pasta
  • Like 1

It is not really needed, as the ways mentioned above can make it Icly and OOcly available to other people.

Having someone else's whole backstory available in the same fashion would not be a positive addition, in my opinion. If you want to be a 300-year old amazon princes from Jupiter, try and get that across without monologueing or launching texts walls.

Tell your backtory to those who care. IC.
Complete backstory isn't something you see when you take a look at someone, it shouldn't show up in the examine menu.

Medical records, employment records and actually speaking to people are ways to open your character up a bit

• Thanks 1

Yes, Flavour text is usually details at a glance, and backstory should really be told by you in person or some of it through IC records like the Crew records page on here.

I find when RPing that a story not fully told attracts curious people, which allows you to define said character

And a hint when making a Backstory, try reading up on the wiki's backstory so you can fit in within the supposed lore of Spess Station thirteen

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use