Starfinder SS13 - Gauging interest

Keroman

Recently a futuristic/space-oriented version of Pathfinder was announced and released, titled Starfinder.  It seems to use a lot of similar rules but, as stated, it's intended to function in a futuristic or space-centric setting which, to me, just screams SS13.

I've been running D&D and Pathfinder games for several years now on a play-by-post website called RPOL.net (RolePlay OnLine) and I'm considering starting up a Starfinder SS13 game on there.

What is Pathfinder/Starfinder?

Pathfinder is a sort of update to the 3.5 Edition Dungeons and Dragons game system.  Pathfinder is generally more balanced and does a somewhat decent job of making each class shine in its own way.  It's not so different from Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e that you have to worry about learning a whole new way of doing things, and if you find something that you like from D&D 3.5e that hasn't already been ported over to PF then it's usually a fairly simple matter to tweak it so that it'll function just fine as part of the PF ruleset.

All the info you need to take part in a Pathfinder game is listed on the Pathfinder SRD website free of charge, although you can purchase the Pathfinder rulebooks if you want to support the creators.

Starfinder, as mentioned above, is a very recently released version that gives rules for a futuristic/space-oriented campaign.

How can I get started?

If you want to give this a shot then your first step should be to register an account on the RPoL.net site.  They have rules about how new accounts can't join games which are marked as Mature or Adults-Only, but that likely won't be an issue since I'm not planning on allowing anything nasty or weird during the game.

A play-by-post game is run in quite a different manner than a live game.  People generally take turns posting, and pacing can be kind of difficult.  If you want to try out a game with me then I'm going to expect for everyone to post, at minimum, once per 48 hours.  I'll do my best to keep the game engaging, but everyone will need to put in at least a little effort to keep the game running smoothly and consistently.

What else?

One thing I'm going to want to do, assuming enough people are interested, is set up a Discord so we can talk about how best to work some major SS13 game mechanics into the Starfinder game system.  For instance: atmospherics, construction/destruction, power generation/transfer, medical, R&D, etc.

I'm also going to want to try to set up custom classes that are analogous to ERT roles and/or station job roles in a way that's as balanced as possible.

If there's a enough players willing to give this a shot I can run several groups at the same time, each with its own goals and gear.  Ideally I'd like to try to capture the feel of SS13 as much as possible.  There can be some silliness and everyone can be at least a little bit incompetent once in a while.  If someone's character dies then I can try to find a way to bring them back into the game in some other way.

So if this all sounds interesting to you, even if you've never played Pathfinder or D&D before, please post in this thread or PM me on the Paradise Discord.  Being on the Discord is a MUST so if you haven't gotten on there yet now's a good time to join up!  Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

Discord chat here: https://discord.gg/meA6zsu

Edited by Keroman
Adding Discord link

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use