Space Law / LSOP inconsistencies

Vivalas

Alright, upon close examination of space law and Legal Standard Operating Procedure, there are two inconsistencies within them, that is, multiple conflicting statements about what to do in certain situations.

I will list them both here.

1. Repeat Offender example vs. definition

The definition for repeat offender states:

For each successive Repeated Incidence, an extra five minutes is added to the sentence. If the added time exceeds the original sentence, the crime should be considered one Level above (ie, Medium Crimes become Major Crimes), and the sentence adjusted. Major Crimes with 15 extra minutes added via this modifier should be considered Capital Crimes, but not punishable by Execution or forced Cyborgization.

The example, however, states:

Example: Person A is brigged for Assault, for 10 minutes. Person A then gets brigged for Vandalism, for 5 minutes. Person A then gets brigged for Assault and Possession of a Weapon, for 30 minutes (10 for Assault, 10 for Possession of a Weapon, 10 due to Repeat Offender). Person A then gets brigged for Assault on an Officer, for 35 minutes (15+20). Person A then gets brigged for Possession of a Restricted Weapon and Assault on an Officer, for 60 minutes (15 for Possession of a Restricted Weapon, 15 for Assault on an Officer, 30 due to Repeat Offender), bringing the sentence to Permabrig Status.

In the example the second brigging for assault gives them 10 minutes from the Repeat Offender clause. However, this wasn't the third brigging for assault, and the definition states to only add 5 minutes per successive offense.

2. Trial SOP as defined by LSOP

This one is pretty minor, but could be called out by people who just want to cause issues.

The big inconsistency here is that one part of Trial SOP states that if both IAA are present, they should be used for Defense AND Prosecution, at least implicitly.

2) Decide who Prosecution and Defense are. If there are two Internal Affairs Agents/Lawyers/Public Defenders aboard the station, this becomes simple

While further down, it says this:

2) Internal Affairs Agents as the Defense. If no Internal Affairs Agents are available, the Defendant may choose to either represent themselves, or choose someone from the crew to represent them. Security personnel should be picked to form the Prosecution if possible.

The difference is highlighted. Basically, one line says to use IA for prosecution, while the other says to use security. The latter makes more sense and is what I would default to anyways in a trial, but it is still an inconsistency nonetheless.

Anyways, just some issue I found in our somewhat complex virtual criminal justice system. Mainly this thread is for admin input so I can fix the inconsistencies without being yelled at.

Currently, nobody can access SoP or Space Law without permission of @TullyBBurnalot.

Your first example is valid as far as I can see, thank you for reporting it. The second one I believe is fine, SoP and Space Law is written in such a way that we assume that the person reading it understands the spirit of the rule, in this scenario wherever possible IAA's should perform both prosecution and defence, but if for example only one IAA is present a security member is to perform prosecution.

Yea I've known about this for quite some time. Just didn't care to express my opinion. Law is something that is imposed off of how much you piss off security and what crimes you actually committed.

On 9/11/2017 at 9:33 AM, Saul Argon said:

Currently, nobody can access SoP or Space Law without permission of @TullyBBurnalot.

Your first example is valid as far as I can see, thank you for reporting it. The second one I believe is fine, SoP and Space Law is written in such a way that we assume that the person reading it understands the spirit of the rule, in this scenario wherever possible IAA's should perform both prosecution and defence, but if for example only one IAA is present a security member is to perform prosecution.

As far as the second example, I still think there should not be a conflict, even though I'm just gonna do what I interpret as the correct interpretation every time.

And yeah Tully is in charge of this but I've pinged him a few times on Discord and he's always sleep deprived so I figure someone else could handle it.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use