Pet Peeves of Paradise

FeiH

2 minutes ago, DrunkDwarf said:

Wait, what? Why were you refusing to cooperate on this? let the surgeon do what they need to do, sounds like he wasn't unreasonable to not deal with you, rude to just abandon you there though.

You don't normally get to make demands of the surgeon while they're trying to perform surgery, especially if it's an ER situation. If they need to cut your clothes off, you don't really get to refuse if you want to be treated.

I was stable. You are allowed to refuse anesthetic.  Clothing does not need to be removed to perform surgery. Only hardsuits or items in the way of the area of the operation. I'm not playing on Aurora here. Want to get in and out. I've had a bunch of times where I was in surgery. Got put to sleep and woke up to find that half of medical is on fire. Not a fan. 

It's really stressing as a command staff to be put under because you aren't informed of what is happening at that moment, could get assassinated/looted, or your department goes bad without you.

Either way, another pet peeve: When you have something important to say but Telecoms decide to take a lunch break at that moment (ionspheric anomalies/antag sabotage). Double points if I was going to scream angrily at someone being incompetent.

• Like 2

A few new ones:

Clearly new doctors refusing to listen to friendly advice from experienced medical personnel, often leading to patient death because they wanna be the hero the station doesn't need.

Security wanting to KoS/Execute EVERYONE for EVERYTHING; You aren't fucking Judge Dredd. Follow Space Law, you unrobust nerd.

Security making up Space Law or applying it inaccurately. Yes, I'm looking at you, Dumbass McTaze tazing people for lazertagging.

Security going full harmbaton mode because someone non-violently resists arrests/manages to unbuckle themselves from the chair.

Security going harmbaton mode on anything that doesn't out-right deserve it in the first place.

• Like 2

So far, the only time I've felt actually annoyed with anything was when a roboticist just refused to make any positronic brains despite several ghosts constantly messing with the lights to get their attention.

• Like 2

Station heroes, those really piss me off:
If you see a kidnapping taking place and turns out the kidnapper uses a vampire power to stop you from helping, you don't jump back into maints, you thanks the vampire for not taking you, run away and report to security.

Or when you suspect of someone being an antag and start watching every move, not playing the role you selected at all.

Then we have the aggressive heroes. Those start to hit you with the hardest thing they can find for a minor crime they saw you commit. Your cover is lost, you need surgery for sure and the entire security department is after your. Your round is pretty much ruined either you ahelp it or not.

And last but not least, PET SLAUGHTERS. These players who just kill your pet for absolutely no reason at all, or for totally unjustified reason, in cold blood. And then gib its body. I believe that should be explicitly forbidden in the server rules under a long jobban from everything but animals.

• Like 1

* Vox players acting like they have a license to just take everything off/from everyone they want, because shiny.

* Vox players talking like normal humans.

* Slimepeople borderline ERP'ing with *squish and emotes/stories to go with it.

* HoP's refusing to do their paperwork properly if necessary in certain situations.

* Roboticists refusing to borg people even if you're an IPC, or the HoP is dead / can't stamp it, etc.

* HoP's who want the RD's signature/stamp on a cyborgification contract.

* Cyborgification contract

* Officers who don't even listen to you in processing

* Warden not knowing their space law

* AI's with a personality: You're an AI unit, you aren't a fucking poet, writer, rapper, thug or whatever.

* Janitors who do not clean up clutter such as trash / glasses / backpacks / etc.

* Officers using tazers on code green

* Officers cuffing you when you try to come willingly

* Science not upgrading botany or kitchen

* Hydroponics ignoring the chef or being too moronic to understand / see the chef shouting at them for help / ingredients / plant bag

* Validhunting chaplains

And the worst of all...

(regular) people GOING TO CRYO 2 MINUTES INTO THE SHIFT BECAUSE THEY DIDN'T GET ANTAG.

Edited by Landerlow
Grammar
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, TortoiseGaming said:

Laser tagging a sec officer and getting a swift laser blast(two or more times) and limping back to medbay...

I mean, what did you think was going to happen?

On 11/10/2017 at 1:32 PM, Mitchs98 said:

Security wanting to KoS/Execute EVERYONE for EVERYTHING; You aren't fucking Judge Dredd. Follow Space Law, you unrobust nerd.

This,  KoS is meant to be there so that if security has no choice but to kill someone they don't get labeled murderers.  Its not a magic loophole to allow you to execute the clown for escaping from prisoner processing.

Edited by Allfd
I don't know how to computer
  • Thanks 1

I was antag one round and, although shittily, I managed to capture someone in old bar and tie them up.  They only got to say "Help!" over radio before I tore it off of them, so that was enough for me to get fucked.  A lesson learned I guess.

However, a few days later I was right above Library maints.  I said into radio "[name] is tying me up in Library Maints!  Help!"

Not only did security ignore my plea, but I sat in a emergency fire locker for a good 20 minutes until the fucking paramedic found me (my suit sensors were still on).

So I guess my pet peeve is absolutely un-coordinated security and;

Paramedics who take 20 minutes to find you.

Oh and then the mortician stared at the green light for maybe 10 minutes before I gave up and just observed the whole round.  He wasn't even antag or thrall.  And the vampire that originally captured me was never captured until like 13:49.  It was a fiery inferno, they had to call ERT and everything.  Was fun to observe but maybe the only round to legitimately make me upset.

3 hours ago, Odieman said:

Paramedics who take 20 minutes to find you.

I can sorta justify this. As in, I've been there before, and if between the cord system and map layout you aren't up to snuff with one, you sorta lag behind. It shouldn't happen, but as far as medical blunders, it's far from the worst.

With that in mind, why the fuck is it that medical attracts players almost freshly new to the game? I think a highlight of this was a doctor who plucked my lungs out of my body as a miner instead of repairing them. I've seen CMOs that barely know the different chemicals, morgue trays with green lights for far too long, and one attempt too many to clone a Plasmameme. Like I get it, some shit you just need to figure out, and we all have those "ree, I'm stupid" moments when we're new to anything. But come on man, there's a certain weight medical has that gets felt pretty bad when one part lacks.

I don't fucking know, maybe I'm expecting too much or jumping too far to conclusions. For all I know people could just see Medical Doctor and think "Ok, healer, that's always beginner friendly" because that was admittedly my logic prior to playing.

Also, while I'm here, people that interfere with your job for no reason. Bonus points if you're in their department. I had a round as coroner where genetics just refused to give me a monkey. Even when I said it was for biomass. Why? Because budget, apparently. Whatever, talk to the CMO, he gets it for me, but the geneticist then decides to actively disarm spam the CMO to get the cube back. After that, he kept stealing shit from the cryo room to stop me from doing anything related to cloning, going as far to shove me, take a beaker of cryox, and throw it down disposals.

Why. Why oh why do you think this is fun. If you're an antag, you have better ways to troll the department. If you aren't an antag, you're just an asshole.

Ugh. I hate ranting but this feels like the salt fields already, so fuck it.

Edited by ParemberKennard
A letter.

Oh boy, another thing i just remembered. Not knowing how to play a certain job and actively willing to learn it, and no one wants to teach me. Even after going through the wiki and relevent guides and being confused still... toxins... and getting nothing from anyone else in the department. Granted it being a calm round and people arent rushing. Im always willing to learn new things.

6 hours ago, TortoiseGaming said:

Oh boy, another thing i just remembered. Not knowing how to play a certain job and actively willing to learn it, and no one wants to teach me. Even after going through the wiki and relevent guides and being confused still... toxins... and getting nothing from anyone else in the department. Granted it being a calm round and people arent rushing. Im always willing to learn new things.

This, so much This. And then some Vox player comes along (why is it always a Vox?), asks why something is not done right yaya, then proceeds to take over without explaining what was wrong, and what to do instead.

Edited by DrunkDwarf

I have a ton of peeves of people, and am not going to cover all of them:

- People who want to have better role-play, then don't role-play
  * Refuse to do paperwork for jobs that are supposed to do paperwork
  * Generally, doing something just because it's 'faster' (not doing paperwork, Tesla every shift, most powerful chems, no anesthetic, breaking into places, not role-playing, etc)
  * Refuse to use self-preservation when a threat risks their safety just to 'try to be the hero' as most every role excluding war declaration by Nuclear Ops (though should still act untrained if they don't have the actual records to support them being trained with weapons)
  * Refuse to act out pain when not taking anesthesia (as a carbon-based life-form)
  * Yell at everyone for really stupid reasons (especially towards those who are new to the game, aren't very good yet, and are trying to learn in-game by role-playing it)
  * Inversely, not helping people in-game who are trying to learn in-game (usually the same people yelling at these people; show some human decency and teach them using role-play)
  * Those who act outside their role, such as doing surgery when a surgeon is right there (especially when they have no record they can do said thing in their employment record)
- People who feel they are entitled to everything going their way
  * Break into places you don't give them access to (gateway)
  * Generally, those who break into anywhere to try to steal (you could properly give a reason you need something and someone might give it to you)
  * Inversely, those who refuse to give something reasonable to someone just because they might be an antagonist with a good reason/wants to do something fun for people
  * Those who act like absolute brats to security all the time and demand release/lawyer (if you know you are innocent, act calm, not freak the fuck out; they'll be more likely to actually listen to you)
  * Demanding Head of Personnel assistance immediate at round start because you didn't give the job you wanted/don't like the people you are working with
- Those who try to always interact with the Captain rather than the appropriate department, such as reporting threats to security
  * Those who call out for Captain for really any reason other than survivor situations or Head of Personnel needs without a Head of Personnel

Edited by Twinmold
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Twinmold said:

* Those who act outside their role, such as doing surgery when a surgeon is right there (especially when they have no record they can do said thing in their employment record)

So much this. It just shows an utter lack of respect to other players. You may be an expert surgeon, the other guy might be new but that doesn't give you the right to walk in and take over their job. They're playing the role they (in theory) signed up for, you play yours. Look at it as a chance to pass on your knowledge to someone who just might appreciate the help instead of yell at them or just disregard them.

And on that note, people not getting their way about something so they break in to whatever it is they feel they're entitled to. Short story time. Was playing chem the other day and as many a chemist player has noted as a pet peeve, botany was putting a big strain on us early game. I never mind making a few buckets of mutagen or saltpeter. But even with us setting their buckets to 5u each, well I dunno what was going on. They must have been dumping buckets like crazy. Both chem machines were almost out of juice and we had barely started on the medbay's needs. After turning away yet another request from botany, the botanist wordlessly wrenched the chem fridge, waltzed on in and helped themselves. Right in front of two sec officers. After asking for help over comms a sec borg came along.. and arrested my fellow chemist instead. I had to literally rage quit to cryo and turn my game off for awhile over that one. I think it really shows how some people think of other players. We aren't living, breathing humans behind our little spess mens, we're just..  I dunno. Something getting in the way of their own fun?

My pet peeves:

• As a chef, making lots of different food for the crew to pick from and enjoy, but have some chuckleskrek come, bite into all of them, set them back on the table, then start to cram the untouched food into his backpack. (Or have Ian or E-N come along and eat all the food, then get surprised when I make them into hot-dogs, after several warnings for them to STOP)
  • Being a chef and having an theme/idea to make the kitchen/menu revolve around it, but don't have any botanists (or have some, who only do weed and shrooms)
  • Being a botanist who makes a huge variety of plants, but there is no chef (bonus points if there is a chef, but only makes tacos or bread)
  • Being ribbed for the x+100th time when talking to someone, who mimicks vox speech to mock me with only 'Yaya' and the occasional 'skrek'. (What's that thing on your back? What's a voxcaster?)
  • The doctor knowing that having a vox patient, they cannot use the gas, but won't use painkillers or ether at all neither, and just keep blundering the surgery despite me screeching in pain, begging for the pain to stop, or shriek for painkillers.
  • Fellow vox in general, who only play as vox because powerplaying raisins, and don't even try to roleplay the species.
  • Engineers who only pick the job, so they can get free gloves and toolbelt
  • When playing security, see people run around set to arrest, with no tags/comments on them, and when asking on the sec channel why they are on arrest, then never get an answer
  • Being ignored in sec channel in general

Aaaand my greatest pet peeve:

Acting like a spoiled brat/kindergartener, who throws an IC (/OOC) hissyfit when you don't get what you want / things don't happen the way you want.

Over-dramatic RP. This point actually goes against what I like, since I really like RP here, I'd even like the server to be more RP heavy. It's just things like this that make me go "maybe it's fine that RP isn't that heavy here"

I was a detective checking out a murder scene where the victim was cloned, the person was trying to look traumatized but honestly I think they mostly just kept adding ellipses. "I.... was alone... they..."

"suddenly... came up to me... and then..... oh god.." I just played along with it kinda. It just feels very weird and I mostly just wanna get out of that situation ASAP. Maybe it wasn't a case of over-dramatic RP. I can see myself being interested in someone who was killed acting kinda scared, it could've just been that it was poorly done in general which is why it felt awkward. 

Dunno. If you RP like this more power to you, I probably will end up playing along with it. It's just personal preference, it made me really uncomfortable and I'm not sure why.

As HoP, early on I wanted to make a stargate style crew to explore gateway, get mission reports and stuff from, and have fun RP with it.

It does not end up that way. Either people don't care about getting access, because "I have other stuff to grab and prepare in the seven minutes before gateway turns on" and doesn't even care to get access from me, or they play along to get gateway and EVA access, and then I never hear from them again, until late game I see them walking around with their "sick loot"

My biggest pet peeve is the powergamers.

besides that, is the people who come to my lineup to ask to change to another job, and are shocked that they require the authorization of the appropriate head, or things along that line, as if I'm supposed to "just do it". Or the people who ask for more access to other jobs so they can "just do them, it faster"

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ID404NotFound said:

My biggest pet peeve is the powergamers.

See, I look at powergaming as a spectrum. There's a threshold of how much you value your own performance compared to basically anything else, and the way I see it, as long as you keep it under a certain point where you're not treading over other people's fun, you're fine. I'm guilty of carrying a stun mechanism on me whenever possible, blame the telescopic batons in command spoiling me. But I try to at the very least keep what it is justifiable to the department I'm in.

That being said, the people that truly don't give a fuck are a different case entirely. Guys that become maint rambo for no other reason than they can? Yeah that's a little iffy no matter how you paint it.

- Clowns. Their entire existence annoys me.
 ~Slipping crew and stealing stuff from them, causing shit for no reason, constantly coming back to the Captain or HoP to ask for all access.
 ~Committing actual crimes, then trying to incite riots when they get brigged. (Looking at you, "kidnap-prankers")
 ~Breaking into places for tools or chemicals that they shouldn't have neither should they know how to make or use as a clown.
 ~Getting acid bananas or lube for any reason when they are not a traitor. Stop it. Get some help you sadist.

- Botanists.
 ~Ignoring the chef, making no food items and instead mass producing weed or death nettles.
 ~Finding out there's shadowlings and producing leaves that light half the station or glowshrooms that they place everywhere. Kinda ruins the round for the slings.
 ~Acid bananas.

- People who commit crimes when they are not an antag.
 ~Not including the general assault on a shitler, more focusing on the people who break into places for stupid reasons.
 ~Breaking into Security for the sole purpose of wandering around and letting people out.
 ~Breaking people out of their cells.
 ~Breaking into Security when not an antag.
 ~Breaking into Genetics for a monkey or for powers.
 ~Crying or killing themselves when they get caught and put in a prison cell.
 ~Being forced to treat the prisoners who keep breaking out of cuffs and killing themselves as Brig Physician because it's part of my job.
 ~Those who incite riots because they were brigged for completely valid reasons.
 ~Screaming at Security for ruining their fun even though they're just doing their jobs and their "fun" was breaking space law.

- People who neglect their job duty to do other stuff.
 ~Doing telescience when not part of the Science department, then proceed to steal high security items and kidnap people using it.
 ~Refusing to make food as the Chef, instead using the position to just make blood soap and smear it across the station when not part of a blood cult.
 ~People who throw all job integrity out the window to let their friends or "kin" into high security areas just because they are the same species or their characters have an in game relationship. (Slimes, Vox, Humans, Vulps. Usually the Captain with their Civilian buddies.)
 ~Giving anyone access for any reason that isn't giving them an actual job which requires it. (Bridge Assistants, Waitresses, Lab Rats.)
 ~Command staff who get assistants when not needed, just so they can make the assistant do their job and neglect their duties. (Usually the HoP.)

- Madilynn Drago
 ~Not that I wanted to name and shame, but Jesus is she annoying.
 ~"Tawks wike this aww the time"
 ~Madilynn Drago does a cry.
 ~Madilynn Drago cries.
 ~"Why you take Madi's ducky?" When being searched.
 ~"I did nothing!" When being arrested for breaking into the Captain's office to steal the fucking duck which can be found in the dorms bathroom.
 ~Breaks into Genetics to get the small gene, or becomes a Geneticist purely to find the small gene, then goes off to greytide all shift.
 ~Runs into the HoP office under the desk with the small gene, then screams when she's batonned and/or arrested.
 ~Cat ears.
 ~Madilynn Drago does a cry.

- People who break into the Gateway at the very start of the shift rather than rush to the HoP office to get one of the (usual) three explorer jobs.
 ~Causes unnecessary Detective work and also wastes Security's time while they search for the idiot.
 ~Usually ends up electrifying the door so those who try to get in legitimately get shocked when they try to enter.
 ~Can easily get access but decides to break in anyway because they can't be bothered to actually interact with another player.

- Expanding on the last point: People who break into the Gateway while it's bolted and depowered.
 ~Usually, this is during a Quarantine or Red Alert, which both state that Gateway Excursions are not allowed.
 ~This also, usually, results in calls for the AI to be destroyed for being a "Useless piece of junk" for following Standard Operating Procedures and/or their lawset.
 ~Also causes unnecessary Security/Detective work during a situation which requires them to focus on other issues, such as whatever is causing the Quarantine/Red Alert.
 ~Why the hell would you break into a bolted and depowered Gateway after being told there's Terror Spiders on the other side?

/end salt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • honk 2
  • Salt 1

When you are a clown and people completely ignore you when trying to be legitimately fun: "Everybody come watch my performance at the bar!", "Can I borrow the hand tele for a escapism number?", "Need eggs, a burned mess and access to your grinder", "I require space lube", "Use these genuinely red shoes that aren't dyed clown shoes, they are wonderful!", "Everybody gather at escape, grab a tomato and wait for me around the chair for especial fun!", "You cannot arrest me for the consequences of my prank!", etc...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alriac said:

When you are a clown and people completely ignore you when trying to be legitimately fun: "Everybody come watch my performance at the bar!", "Can I borrow the hand tele for a escapism number?", "Need eggs, a burned mess and access to your grinder", "I require space lube", "Use these genuinely red shoes that aren't dyed clown shoes, they are wonderful!", "Everybody gather at escape, grab a tomato and wait for me around the chair for especial fun!", "You cannot arrest me for the consequences of my prank!", etc...

When I am HoP, I DO enjoy a genuinely funny clown. So many just screw it up though, and go for tired old gags, that are just meant to stir shit instead of being funny. I need to regulate clowns, it is my job.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use