Pet Peeves of Paradise

FeiH

• 9 months later...

Damn do I hate it when Traitors refuse to keep note of the code phrases.

I hate when the pipes in atmos bug out and look all weird/funky floaty.

Sec that has no situational awareness and lets the guy get away from beating you up.

Sec that is far too paranoid and searches you three times in the same round.

People way too paranoid about things despite the lore saying this is the first shift that goes wrong.

When the janitor uses his mop instead of heckling R&D for a floor buffer.

Wizard rounds that last less then 20 minutes.

Blob rounds that last less than 20 minutes.

But the worst of all, the worst thing:  Traitors who fill the shuttle with burning plasma for hijack without even attempting to contact other traitors.

1 hour ago, Odieman said:

But the worst of all, the worst thing:  Traitors who fill the shuttle with burning plasma for hijack without even attempting to contact other traitors.

I'd like to add "Traitors who fill the shuttle with burning plasma without attempting to survive it themselves" for 400, Alex.

• Like 1

I have a pet peeve with a specific type of toddlers that think it's badass to chuck away food from kitchen tables.

Like, what the heck man, who let them out of the pram.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2019 at 4:55 PM, Odieman said:

When the janitor uses his mop instead of heckling R&D for a floor buffer.

I love using the janitor cart with a mop and physical floor signs but its cuz I like how slow n relaxing it is.

I also destroy all floorbots I see cuz dey terk err jerbs.

...and of course clean up the mess the deatroyed floorbot leaves...bcuz janitor.

Also @shatterdcoyote...shut your snout, flea bag.

Edited by ZN23X
  • Like 1

Heads of Staff too chicken shit to actually fire and cull the incompetent, incapable of downright intolerable from their departments. If you get multiple reports of a security officer harm batoning non violent crew on green, a virologist that releases a harmful but non fatal disease without permission or a genecist abusing their job to hand out powers of defective SEs to force transform someone into another person, and your first instinct isn't to drag their ass in cuffs to the HoP for demotion, you need to stop playing head roles.

• Like 2

IC complaints about 'hiring from the manifest'.

As I said there, "If preventing manifest hires and keeping security pure is what the admins want, I'd like a standard/stock IC explanation that I can tell people who apply."

I recently had a round as HoP and I hired an IAA from the manifest.
HoS and the Captain both complained and demanded the individual be demoted because they were hired from the manifest.

As I explained to the guy when he came back to the HoP line, "Well, you might be a Syndicate traitor and tell security to brig someone for 5 minutes instead of 10 minutes for breaking into a command area; we can't be too careful, you know?" to point out how absolutely ridiculous and flimsy the 'don't hire from manifest' crap is.

Hell, I almost have sympathy for not hiring a Head of Security from the manifest, given how powerful the role is and how it could affect the round for others.
But an IAA? The role long lamented to be absolutely powerless except for a fax to CC? Give a HoP a break!

• Like 2
  • Salt 1

My pet peeve? The obvious valid-hunters everywhere.

Held a flashlight in my hand, instantly have someone shove me over, take it and tried using it on me because they believed it as an E-flashlight

Another one, was a greyshitter as usual, lockpicking into places i shouldn`t be, including the teleporter room.

Captain and blueshield is waiting for me there, fair enough, i surrender.

BS fires lethals, runs dry, unveils axe and starts chopping.

All because "BUT HE TATOR", thankfully the cappy was quick with a baton.

I understand entering High Risk zones are a punishable offence, but a straight lynching-

• Like 1

- Blueshields who don't understand the concept that you're there to guard command. Not mingle/socialize for half of the shift with your non-command IC friends. On a slow boring shift with nothing happening, no harm to relax and chill. But I have legit seen Blueshields chilling in maints or away from command areas. Even on slow shifts, you should still be near a command member, watching their ass because things can turn south very quickly on the Cyberiad, and before you know it, command are shouting Blueshit at you!

- Blueshields who 'powergame' by having AEG's and everything else under the sun on their person, carrying a personal armoury of weapons. And all on Green/Blue alert. I'm sure Tator McGarry will love a good loot pinata Blueshield. Even on red, unless nukies/aliens and other highly visible murderboneish threats are about, it can be excessive.

- Redshield, enough said.

- Pod pilots who never use their pod, or use it once and then dump it off to become a regular redshirt.

- Miners who will wait over an hour if need be to deposit their first batch ores just because the ORM hasn't been upgraded. And in-between that period of waiting, you could have made two or more deposits!

- People who shout SHITCURITY at the drop of the hat for getting cuffed/arrested. I call these 'sovereign shits'.

- Those who shout for an IAA over 5/10 minute sentences, screaming down the coms repeatedbly for one as if they're about to be executed or chucked into perma.

- Being asked to fill out paperwork at cargo for lathe supplies. Recently got asked to fill out a form for a piece of cable wire. There's keeping a papertrail, then there's just being an ass/shitter.

3 hours ago, Xyd said:

Blueshields who 'powergame' by having AEG's

It's actually just a self charging version of the gun that they start with that also has a barely used disable mode. I find it kind of hard to call having one powergaming, Blueshield is one of those roles that carries lethals even on code green, and one of the main reasons why the science department exists is to gradually upgrade the station, the crew, and their stuff and the round goes on.

Somewhat unrelated, but for reference, the Blueshield's starting Advance Stun Revolver is identical to the PDW9 that ERT teams get as a sidearm. The latter is just a reskin.

3 hours ago, Xyd said:

Blueshields...

Also Blueshields that feel entitled to have the Captain's spare ID, and ends up mad/passive aggressive towards you during the rest of the shift when you don't give it to them

Blueshields that do actually get the spare ID but uses it to get RnD stuff without asking or telling anyone.

Blueshields that hunt down command members that turns out to be EoCs because "they are command".

Blueshields who, for whatever reason, are given the Captain's spare headset and decides to bother/get in the way of the department's communications.

People signing up for head positions and either not having the knowledge, or are unwilling to pitch in and help run the department.

Paperwork QM's. I'll second what Xyd said, although I somewhat chalk that up to the wiki. I don't know if it still suggests paper trails or not but whenever I see cargo asking for paperwork it tends to be new faces and I just assume they got that from the wiki. Although the idea that new players read the wiki might just be wishful thinking on my part.

Antag fishing. There are people out there that if you see them in the round they are ALWAYS antags. I get that for a lot of people the game is all about playing antags. But from an OOC perspective it gets routine seeing the same old people doing the same old gimmicks and only playing for their green text.

Janitors I love you. I know slipping people is a fun perk of the job. But for the love of the Honkmother if there's a blob and you're spraying medbay with water, or war ops and you're hosing down the cargo office with it you make me seriously weigh the risks of getting bwoinked if I drag you off to surgery and turn you into a nugget. Just sayin'.

Nanotrasen reps that seem to forget their position is to advise command, not bark orders. Especially when they interfere with security. If you want to enforce SOP then fine, that's your jam but don't argue space law with 'em, especially when there's a magistrate on shift. Stay in your lane.

Redshields. I get it, I've been there. Security is over whelmed and you want to help out. But there's ways to do it that don't involve grabbing your handcuffs and making arrests. I do think this is a bit of an issue to people that are new to the role. And on that note and for a final bit of grumpy saltiness, captains that think they can order their blueshits around. I do love haughtily informing them that blues aren't in their chain of command. Hey I'll happily pitch in and do what I can to help out but if you're an ass about it guess what? I'm gonna spend the rest of the shift protecting.. I dunno the CE instead.

• 5 months later...

Here are all my pet peeves in no particular order, prepare for a wall of text.

- Coroners cryoing IPCs.
- Dead IPCs being ignored in general.
- Janitors using wet floors to clean.
- Incompetent Scientists.
- Incompetent Roboticists.
- Officers arresting with invalid sentences. (Thank god for the Magistrate.)
- PDA Bombs.
- EMP Grenades.
- EMP Implants.
- EMP in general.
- AI ROGUE BLOW THE BORGS
- Terror spiders.
- "But you're an IPC, you don't need welding shield"
- Being treated as an emotionless robot. (Rare, but it can happen.)
- Morphs.
- Player-controlled small animals. (Especially mice.)
- Incompetent pAI's.
- People yelling 'help im dyang' wihout their Suit Sensors.
- Paramedics who don't put too much effort into finding me.
- Prisoners suiciding over 5 minute sentences. Good thing Security is not obliged to prevent suicide.
- Greytides breaking into security and then wondering screaming why they're being yelled to leave at gunpoint.
- Terror spiders.
- Terror spiders.
- Terror spiders.
- Bluespace banana peels in the halls.
- Overabundant slipping hazards in the halls.
- Paperworkonia, AKA. Cargo requiring paperwork for getting items from the Autolathe.
- Extreme Paperworkonia, AKA. Cargo requiring paperwork for the ORM, and keeping it locked away.
(DISCLAIMER: Paperwork in the HoP office is fine. Paperwork in Cargo is not.)
- Cargo Techs being utterly clueless.
- Changelings killing me for no reason in particular.
- Fastmos.
- Mining being either non-exsistent, dead within minutes or too slow.

• 8 months later...
3 hours ago, NTSAM said:

The not only Low-RP but also Anti-RP vibe I get from some not quite new people bugs me.

Would you be able to elaborate on this, please?

As for my pet peeves, we've got a list

• Engineering doesn't have much going for it
    • Tesla and singularity are braindead simple to set up
    • Gases don't really do anything interesting(I prefer what /tg/ does, where you have multiple gases that are created through certain mixes and heat levels, and you can also perform nuclear fusion with said gases)
    • Station's so jam packed with stuff, there aren't that many places that can be renovated
  • Newcrit is frustrating. Haven't done much with it, but baymed offers a much more realistic and in my opinion, interesting approach.
  • Cloning is absolutely essential and should never be permanently removed, but there should be some kind of balancing factor, just to make the rest of medbay do something for serious injuries, instead of just letting them die
  • We figured out the optimal path for R&D so long ago, now it's just a chore. With a techweb, we have a lot more freedom in the route we take and can make decisions based on what the station needs
  • Gold slime cores. Just everything about them
  • Wizard rounds ending right when the nerd themself dies.
  • Karma roles have a heavy focus on roleplay, which is why they're locked behind the karma mechanic. So why are the space pod roles, which have actual special gameplay elements beyond roleplay, karmalocked?
  • The USSP lore is a joke. Going back to Bay once again, the lore for their GCC is everything I want the USSP lore to be. Deep, interesting, and with more thought put into it than "Haha, country created because they can't drink as much vodka"
  • Poly
  • Genetics is just boring
  • The way Vox(Voxes? Voxae?) speak.
  • Barging in wordlessly and doing someone's job for them, ESPECIALLY if they're trying to learn it for themself. These people are the scum of the earth.

And yet, this is a server I consistently come back to.

Edited by ImmortalRedshirt
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Franziska said:

On the opposite side of the coin, people who come up to the kitchen and go "FEED ME". I know that you probably have any other thing you'd rather be doing, but kitchen can get a bit quiet as is, having people run up and shout "GIMME FOOD" is just grating, especially when they then go "I dont care just give me food" when asked what specifically they would like. If you're just going to be that blunt and disinterested, just go to a vending machine.

This is why my kitchens have a policy of "If you're rude, you don't get food" I even put up a sign stating this and point to it when they get all rude and refuse to apologize. 

Usually this leads to said rude person attempting to murder me for the rest of the shift, but its all worth it to get them to finally ask for food politely

Edited by BlackDog
  • Like 2

Could always give them wish soup if they just ask for food with no preference. Advertise it as vegan gluten-free low-carb and sugar-free meal.

The meme of non-antag chemists putting a copious amount of drugs in their food or tiders getting ants all over them every shift probably doesn't help chef player quality either

Edited by NTSAM
  • Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use