Assistants 2.0

Ralta

Science assistants needs access to ORM to get materials for science.

I do also fear it would just be used to get some gear and have no responsibility. But honestly people already do that with regular jobs, and it's actually better if you take no real job slot if you gonna fuck around instead of work. 

• Like 1
  • honk 1

On 5/7/2019 at 11:31 PM, procdrone said:

//EDIT
I just notices its a thread from 2017. Im really sorry for the necro

Despite the necro, I think the idea still has a lot of merit.

On 5/7/2019 at 8:13 PM, Calecute said:

Science assistants needs access to ORM to get materials for science.

I do also fear it would just be used to get some gear and have no responsibility. But honestly people already do that with regular jobs, and it's actually better if you take no real job slot if you gonna fuck around instead of work. 

Indeed, this is a problem that affects all jobs; there's nothing special here to make people any more or less likely to take gear and go fuck around. That said, my suggestion is to lessen their access to whatever area they are assisting. For example, an Engineering Assistant doesn't need engine room access; if they need to go in there, it should be with a qualified engineer.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Pokebro2000 said:

Despite the necro, I think the idea still has a lot of merit.

I agree, given the population it would be really neat to have more departmental job slots.

And assistants thought this way makes, as I see it, good sense. For I remember, being a new to the station last summer, wondering that ”hey I’m an assistant, but nobody actually wants me to help or to go try learning their jobs”, so that I wandered in maints and got thralled by Slith until I had enough courage to try actual jobs. With this, civilians would remain as a such choice, while some, up to some 10 slots (1-2 assistants per department?), could take the departmental assistant jobs and do actual space work.

So this implemented would be noobfriendly in general, endorsing ones who don’t know the jobs to try and learn them with less responsibility (and hopefully drifting these people away from pure tiding). As an experienced player I could also go and take it for a less stress yet working shift, or, if all other slots are taken. Jobs to the people, so. As said above - the old discussion there say the downsides of the idea well, for me, it seems the positives are greater.

Department assist job slots would be great.

Security Trainee? Department pet for the HOS or warden to take to the firing range to train!

Medical assistant? I once offered to take a newbie as my surgeon trainee, he did great and fun times was had by all, except the patients under his meatgrinder surgeries but he had to learn!

Engineering trainee? No more busted teslas or singulos (optimism)! Let him see how it`s done first!

Service dosn`t really need any assistant slots, as they are, by nature, rookie jobs.

Command underling? HOP or Cap`s little pet, fetch coffee, watch them boss around, get a grip of things.

• fastparrot 2

7 hours ago, Kryson said:

Engineering assistant -  Tide with free insuls

As has been mentioned, an engineer is no less capable of being 'tide with free insuls' than the proposed assistant. The difference being that the assistant would have less access to those gloves to begin with. 

54 minutes ago, Ralta said:

As has been mentioned, an engineer is no less capable of being 'tide with free insuls' than the proposed assistant. The difference being that the assistant would have less access to those gloves to begin with. 

Guilty as charged 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use