nerf or remove the telegun

ruskivodka

its shits all broken.

-low charge time

-can teleport you to the area in space where you'll die and your body will not be found

i mean, getting teleported to a death in space just like that is annoying and overpowered, it does not give the victim a chance to fight back.

The telegun is only available to RDs who are also traitors. It has limited charge, and only teleports people to specific places with a beacon, most of which are on-station, like the bridge and arrivals. It also costs 12 TC, which is a lot for a traitor gun.

There is one place it can teleport to which is off-station in space, but many people know where it is, and its easy to go there and recover the bodies. I have seen it done several times.

Are you, by chance, one of the people that I killed with it today? If so, you should be aware that it wasn't solely the telegun that did that. I also used EMP flashlight, guns and other things.

I had this device once by a random crate. Its not an instant win button. Its very good but its not an instant win button... most of the time people can use comms on the abandoned teleporter. And if not theres enough metal to setup a quick wall. Open cannister and get rescued. If you want to use this weapon effectivly it requries ALOT of setup. Like prepping the burn chamber with hot N2O and stuff. Or moving the beacons... stuff like that.  It got only 4 shots and I believe it counts as an energy weapon. So secs can order the ablative and be immune (should be tested actually.). The Telegun is utterly loud and usually the AI locks in the RD when he decides to use it somewhere. And considering there are quite a few vox secs running arround. Spacing them does nothing. Yeah telegun can be unfair but its not overpowered considering most of the time mechanic and pod pilot check the teleporter if a telegun is discovered.

I imagine that squishing is the slime person's Vulpkanin go floof.

This, as a weapon, doesn't seem incredible damaging. The hand teleporter is somewhat scarier, if you can get into melee range, that is.

If you set up appropriately (short time, quick, simple) this weapon is auto-win so long as you don't get attacked by enough people simultaneously to overpower your inter-shot cooldown or charge capacity.

Edited by KasparoVv

• 1 year later...

Despite personal experiences of getting smacked around by the Telegun, I will admit it has a few weaknesses--most prominent of which is the fact that if the telegun's target is at least wearing EVA gear or is a plasman/vox, it is very likely that the target will survive and start shouting the traitor's name over comms. While this is scant consolation for the victim who may or may not be rescued it is a major concern for the telegun user, who (depending on whether the person they shot gets listened to) potentially has an entire station ready to chase their ass down. Even if they've been teleported into a hazardous area, there's still the possibility that the telegun victim will be able to shout the telegunner's name before passing out. Additionally, it's possible to refurbish the abandoned teleporter area if one has enough time and patience, meaning that eventually it'll get repaired and anyone sent out there will be able to return fairly easily.

One adjustment I would like to see, however, is a longer delay between telegun shots. Last time I saw one in action it seemed like the user had a very easy time spraying out all 4 shots in rapid succession which made it effectively impossible to dodge them. Also it appeared to have a surprisingly fast recharge time (it's very easy for an RD traitor to just pull a weapon charger around with them in maint and wrench it down for recharging as necessary.) I'd argue an easy-to-implement change would be to the telegun much more similar to the taser in terms of fire rate and projectile behaviour--that way it's very good for quickly taking out isolated targets but can't be used to sweep away groups.

I'll put it this way, the telegun is 1tc cheaper than the .357, it's less noisy, doesn't scatter shell casings everywhere when being reloaded, doesn't leave nearly as much of a mess as the .357, is potentially more lethal if your target is anyone other than a karma species, and doesn't require more TCs or an immobile console in order to print more ammo. While the .357 arguably fires faster/reloads faster in an emergency it doesn't remove the threat of an enemy as quickly as the telegun: a single .357 round will put most unarmored targets into soft crit, but the .357 requires an average of 2 shots to kill someone outright, which gives the target a split second to at least try to fire back or dodge the follow-up shot, and with 7 shots per magazine the .357 seems overall to be less forgiving than the telegun at present. The only persistent disadvantage of the telegun compared to a .357 (assuming that both are available to a traitor) is that the telegun requires the shooter to jump through more hoops if they want to loot equipment off of their victims.

This may, perhaps, be a very unorthodox suggestion, but one other idea that comes to mind is to actually buff the telegun immensely to have a higher rate of fire, charge time, and battery, but to relegate it to being a hijack-only item, in the same vein as "His Grace"/The Artistic Toolbox. A buffed up telegun would be an exceptional way for a traitor to approach their hijack objective without needing to figure out clear out kill a shuttle full of angry spessmen using direct damage or emagging the shuttle console from space.

Edited by Machofish

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use