Glowshrooms and shadowlings don't work at all

TermedClepe2

Shadowlings are incapable of fighting back glowshrooms in a sensible manner, they grow too fast to clear. It takes a single botanist and a quick harvest to cover the entire station in endless glowshrooms, effectively countering shadowling as a round type.

Even rushing botany roundstart was insufficient in countering glowshrooms, and I have to note it's absolutely ridiculous shadowlings need to rush botany to have at least glimmer of a hope. The rounds where you do not see shadowlings being totally removed due to glowshrooms are the rounds without botanists realizing the bullshit they have at their disposal.

I would suggest removing glowshrooms effect on slings, or other kind of nerf.

Edited by TermedClepe2
  • Like 1

I personally don't feel like removing one of the rare things that functionally give shadowlings a reason to be stealthy is a good idea. Especially since shadowlings seem to win 9 out of 10 rounds. Shadowlings are nightmarish enough to stop once they get rolling as it is, without taking away one of the few real defenses against them. 

• Like 2

Glowshrooms and light panels really are the only way to control their growth, as even security, no matter how robust they are, can't catch a shadowling who decides to bail and go somewhere else.

These light panels and glowshrooms are a /necessity/ to control their movement. Removing glowshrooms will give these shadowlings not just a 90% chance of victory but 99/100 I feel.

• Like 1

It's a bit easier to deal with these when you know how. Shadowlings may be HURT from light, but they can tank the damage well enough to disable them when needed. Light tiles can be color swapped and shut off with a multi-tool, or dismantled one by one. Once one tile is down you can wait and heal before moving on to a new one. But besides that it's smart to get your thralls to do the dirty work for you while you, as a Sling, draw the attention of security to other places. 

Glowshrooms can be destroyed pretty easy with a scythe, welding tool or anything else that cuts. It does take a while to clear them, but, work together to clear one area and move to the next using the same strategy of misdirection. 

• Like 1

Scythe is not a glowshroom counter for shadowlings, the amount of hoops and access requirements to get is is ridiculous and even then you are unable to keep up with their spread.

I'm pretty sure you guys do not understand the ease of glowshroom spam or the difficulty of dealing with it.

Edited by TermedClepe2

Mmmh, that's why I said: 

13 minutes ago, GuiltyBeans said:

a scythe, welding tool or anything else that cuts. 

The main thing is communication and teamwork. Don't thrall someone and flee instantly without telling them a plan. Make a plan before hatching. But.. Yes. I do have to say, don't think glowshrooms should be taken out. The light the produce could be decreased some.. Making it light enough to see but not as bright as what a PDA light might be. And growth time could be lengthened.. But even then a good botanist could modify it to make them grow faster. Which is why you see glowshrooms that expand rapidly.

The few rounds I've worked as sec and successfully "won" against shadowlings were the rounds where genetics discovered Xray early. Glowshrooms are a nuisance at best.

"I ded nerf dis"

• Like 4

Usually they only tell the crew to do that when the shrooms start to enter the main halls/departments. Also I didn't know that Veil makes the shrooms not work. Thought it was like flares and fire; natural light that doesn't dim or turn off like powered lighting.

4 hours ago, TermedClepe2 said:

Shadowlings are incapable of fighting back glowshrooms in a sensible manner, they grow too fast to clear. It takes a single botanist and a quick harvest to cover the entire station in endless glowshrooms, effectively countering shadowling as a round type.

Even rushing botany roundstart was insufficient in countering glowshrooms, and I have to note it's absolutely ridiculous shadowlings need to rush botany to have at least glimmer of a hope. The rounds where you do not see shadowlings being totally removed due to glowshrooms are the rounds without botanists realizing the bullshit they have at their disposal.

I would suggest removing glowshrooms effect on slings, or other kind of nerf.

You guys didn't do ANYTHING to botany. The thralls failed, they did the equivalent of switching off the lights and laughing evilly. The glowshrooms were already planted in a tray, they needed to get the tray but instead just turned the lights off and ran off with a vending machine. If one person had of run in with the pest spray, that was GG for the shrooms. They also take a very long time to grow.

Edited by Cyiko
  • Like 1

Shadowlings, like Xenomorphs, ( Revolution too if your command )  are one of the antags that really instill a sense of doom and despair ( Id argue fear as well ) once they get started. Because, if they are able to get established in the slightest they are nigh unstoppable. That being said, nerfing a mechanic that helps the crew, which is counterable, is a bad idea. Id also like to add, from the rounds I have seen, shadowlings win 7-8/10 times.

Someone had a brilliant idea:

Make shadowling veil ability corrupt glowshrooms into shadowshrooms that would slowly take over the glowshrooms.

This way both sides can get a taste of the tedium that is removal of spreading plants.

• Like 3

Oh hey that was me :D

3 minutes ago, TermedClepe2 said:

Make shadowling veil ability corrupt glowshrooms into shadowshrooms that would slowly take over the glowshrooms.

This way both sides can get a taste of the tedium that is removal of spreading plants.

20 hours ago, TermedClepe2 said:

I like the idea of that, but maybe make it it's own ability rather then making the veil even more powerful.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2017 at 9:51 PM, TermedClepe2 said:

Again, this seems like an unneeded buff for the shadowing against an already extremely limited amount of mechanics that can fight them.

It adds more flavor. More possibility for ebb and flow. Its a good compromise. 

On 5/30/2017 at 9:05 AM, Driker said:

Again, this seems like an unneeded buff for the shadowing against an already extremely limited amount of mechanics that can fight them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use