Rev Rev Revolution: Return of the Revs Edition

Ralta

Che-guevara.jpgrevolutionaries.jpg

It is time, friends. The fires of revolution have been kindled within us, and the spark has ignited a call to action! Rise up against the tyranny of the oppressive Nanotrasen regime; recruit your friends, and fight for your right to freedom!

No more will we be shackled to the yoke of an evil corporation which lines its pockets with blood money from the sweat and tears of its crew! No more will we put up with inept commanders and overzealous security officers!

Our time is now! Let us rise up AND TAKE THIS STATION FOR OUR OWN!

FREEDOM FROM NANOTRASEN. ¡Viva la Revolución! 

Edited by Ralta
  • Like 1

Rev simply doesn't work with Paradise's population. If it did come back, it would need some adjusting to limit how many revs the rev heads can convert so they can't just turn the entire station's graytide. 

No. It was quite literally "deathmatch" the gamemode. No roleplay came from it, and it was removed for good reason.

Rev will never be fixable, Requesting that this post be locked.

We don't shut down threads unless it becomes needless shitslinging.

Edited by Spacemanspark
  • Like 2

Please. please don't bring this back, ever. Greytiding is a right pain in the ass at it's /best/ and at it's worst... I'll just go SSD. It's not worth playing to me.

edit: Wow, timing.. spacespark responded seconds before I did as I was writing this...

Edited by whiskeyfur

As much as Id love rev back, it would require significant changes to ever be considered to be in rotation. Until then, its best for it to remain on ice, used in the event a admin decides to change things up.

#revdidnothingwrong

Welp, I tried on behalf of the one who asked for it. Personally I have no experience with the gamemode - just had someone ask me to make the post and I did. 

If it's that terribad, then fair enough - I figured tweaking a little would make it stand up to Para's playstyle but if it's not viable, I can understand that :)

Edited by Ralta
  • Like 1

Rev is like TDM in older arena shooters when the server host was a shit and turned team balancing off, so there'd be 9 versus 2, and the game became really unfun real quick.

In all seriousness though, Rev'd be more interesting if yoloflash was something you couldn't do, as it stands, you can just convert a third of the crew in five minutes, then fight the underequipped security who are actually expected not to just wipe out the revs with lasers and such, while the revs will just zerg and kill them. And the game's decided in the first 15 minutes.

Rev sort of became a murderfest because it would snowball from a few people who had no idea what they were doing to a whole station of revs killing just about everything that didn't have a big red R or blue R next to it. Unfortunately, they usually ended up bombing the shit out of the station that they needed to capture, and killing shitloads of Revs just to get at a single command member. As an admin, this gamemode is possibly the most unwieldy because most of the chaos stems from the level of control the rev heads have. If the rev head is good at leading lemmings, you can guarantee the revs are going to win with very little hassle and less bombings, most of the time however, these lemmings flip their shit and become pyromaniacs the moment they hear the flash go off. It's not that rev itself is a bad gamemode, it's more or less that people don't seem to be able to handle it reasonably without causing things to spiral out of control.

More or less, there's a reason why it's considered a badge of honor to solomin a 100+ pop rev round, it isn't really fun for the revs, nor the players, depending on how long or how crazy it gets, and it results often in a major imbalance between calm and action shifting mostly towards action with zilch for words the rest of the round.

Rev is an awesome roundtype, but only if done right, and history shows that usually people aren't able to keep the tide under control for long enough to make it as good as it could be.

We had RP rev at one point, it was even worse.

Rev heads had an uplink, anybody could decline being in the revolution and immediately go validhunt, etc..

Well I have a suggestion.

First off increase round start revs. There are like 2-3 heads + 6-10 revs depending on population. They get access to limited syndie gear with rev heads having more tc than a traitor (25-30) and a normal rev having very little TC (4-8) Note: If feels too op we can remove the normal rev TC. The TC is shared for all however to access it they must to build a computer/uplink which one of the rev heads has a circuit for.

The revs CANNOT convert normal greyshits anymore ( Note: we can implement so that players who are excesively grey tidey cannot be converted). The heads have a list of "potential" revolutionaries, The likely hood of being a rev recruit is dependent upon NT Relation ( the one in character creation menu. Maybe make it a little useful.) They are the only ones who can be converted and their number is dependent on server pop. ( Ideally rev should not be more than 15-18 people) Each of them will give TC to the revolution. It reduces validhunt as the rev heads are not going to convert anyone passing by, thereby increasing their chance of being discovered. It also makes the rev act a lot lot sneakier.

I d also suggest adding some rules like no bombs stronger than 1/2 bomb cap OR they can only use syndie miniboms.

Rev equipment choice is less than that of a traitor. With them being geared towards traps, sneak and weak but silent weapons ( guerilla warfare )

That's... implementing two systems that we removed due to being absolutely terrible. Let me elaborate.

On 5/23/2017 at 1:16 PM, Agent_Che said:

First off increase round start revs. There are like 2-3 heads + 6-10 revs depending on population.

This merely increases the issue.

They get access to limited syndie gear with rev heads having more tc than a traitor (25-30) and a normal rev having very little TC (4-8) Note: If feels too op we can remove the normal rev TC. The TC is shared for all however to access it they must to build a computer/uplink which one of the rev heads has a circuit for.

This is taking the idea I said was terrible in RP rev and putting it into normal rev. In addition, the revs do NOT need the buff. At all.

The revs CANNOT convert normal greyshits anymore

This defeats the entire point of a revolution, honestly. In addition, this will just lead to more senseless murderboning, as revs will have no choice but to murder them alongside security AND the heads.

( Note: we can implement so that players who are excesively grey tidey cannot be converted).

We already have this system, in the form of a job ban.

The heads have a list of "potential" revolutionaries, The likely hood of being a rev recruit is dependent upon NT Relation ( the one in character creation menu. Maybe make it a little useful.)

We used to have this system, but it was for EVERY round. In addition, the only thing this led to was heads searching the crewmembers listed on the paper, in the hopes of getting some valids. And if you say "make it only appear on a rev round", then that will completely give away the gamemode right off the bat.

They are the only ones who can be converted

How is a head revolutionary supposed to figure out who is and isn't convertible? Not to mention that it'll just make people set their settings to "loyal" just so they can't be converted (or vice versa).

They are the only ones who can be converted and their number is dependent on server pop. ( Ideally rev should not be more than 15-18 people) Each of them will give TC to the revolution. It reduces validhunt as the rev heads are not going to convert anyone passing by, thereby increasing their chance of being discovered. It also makes the rev act a lot lot sneakier.

This will do the opposite of what you claim. The second they max out, they'll just start murdering everyone else. It's trivial to convert people, so it'll happen FAST. And giving even more TC to them due to this will merely increase the issues I spoke about above.

I d also suggest adding some rules like no bombs stronger than 1/2 bomb cap OR they can only use syndie miniboms.

This is sensible, although I'd just go for no explosions altogether. Your goal is to take over the station, not destroy it. You actually don't have to kill the heads to do this, either.

Rev equipment choice is less than that of a traitor. With them being geared towards traps, sneak and weak but silent weapons ( guerilla warfare )

Choice isn't the issue, it's the items themselves.

To put it bluntly; there just isn't a clear way to fix the revolution gamemode. We keep it around and play it once in a blue moon, but that's it. The concept is awesome, but in practice it just devolves into terrible gameplay that we don't want.

Sorry, I know you put a bit of effort into that post. It just won't work out.

Edited by Spacemanspark

Spacemanspark put a lot more effort into this than I will.

Rev is literally just deathmatch. it's not coming back into rotation, it's remaining as a potential, once-every-once-in-a-while adminbus thing.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use