Standard Operating Procedure Update

TullyBBurnalot

*Grumblegrumblegrumble*

For those of you not familiar with the purple name to the left, some time ago I led a community-wide project to create/update Standard Operating Procedure, and expand it to cover all Departments, as well as Legal proceedings (such as Briggings), in addition to a more generalized, non-specific station operation SOP.

The issue that has arisen, is that SOP was written, well, some time ago, and parts of it may very well have become obsolete with time. As such, I'm opening this thread so that anyone can post what they feel is a shortcoming, error or obsolete idea in any SOP, so that it may get fixed.

Nitpicking appreciated, and very much encouraged.

LIST OF IDENTIFIED ISSUES:

• Genetics Department Duality;
  • Roboticist Surgical SOP;
  • Viral Outbreak Procedure practicality;
  • Possibly moving free random searches to Code Red
Edited by TullyBBurnalot
  • Like 2

I'm okay with SoP in current state as long as captain (or others) can actually effing enforce it IC without OOC consequences

that is including brig time and/or firing

Otherwise it is just guidelines and not actual SoP

Edited by NethIafin
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NethIafin said:

I'm okay with SoP in current state as long as captain (or others) can actually effing enforce it IC without OOC consequences

that is including brig time and/or firing

Otherwise it is just guidelines and not actual SoP

it's suppose to be guidelines and not be 100% enforced

Edited by MrRogueAce

I'm not saying about 100% enforcing.

I'm not asking them to be enforced during alerts or special circumstances

If science makes weapons or implants, I want to be able to fire/arrest them, if they're doing it w/o captains/hos permission.

I hope this clears where my thoughts stand

Firstly, thanks for opening this. For me SoP is actually quite fine as is, as far as the rules go. But there is one problem I have noticed in game. The forward. In particular 

Foreword: Job SOP should not be a considered a checklist of conditions to fire someone over

I have seen this time and time again, as an excuse to keep terrible harmbattoning HoS's and vacant HoP's in there roles. The forward of command SoP in particular removes the teeth of SoP and in most situations stops it from being followed. 

In my opinion SoP should be STANDARD and in its current state, it is anything but that.

• Like 1

Just now, TullyBBurnalot said:

@Saul ArgonWould it perhaps be more appropriate to simply keep the forward as something like "SOP should not be looked at in a vacuum, and context should always be considered"?

I would go a step further than that, "SOP should not be looked at in a vacuum, and context should always be considered. Failure to do so is punishable by demotion" though the second part would only be necessary for command and security SoP as those are the most often broken.

• Like 1

...as with most of the problems with the server...a behavioral problem that can most easily be corrected with better practice.

I LOVE enforcing code red SOP.

Greytide wandering around the halls with no ID at code red. 

HALT "Please display your ID"

They run off. Chase. Tase. Cuff.

"You can't arrest me, not wearing an ID isn't a crime, I can't be resisting arrest if I haven't committed a crime. SHITCURITY!"

They cuss and scream the whole way to the brig, mocking me for not knowing how to do my job, for having bad aim, etc.

"You are being arrested for failing to follow an officers orders at code red which is creating a work place hazard, that's ten minutes, and since you are being SO cooperative, let's give you another five for resisting and another five for being uncooperative. If you have a problem with that I can have IAA sit outside your cell and read space law and code red SOP to you."

Not knowing what crime you are committing does not give you a free pass.

They were arguing against getting a 5 minute sentence for resisting arrest, now they are in for 20 for being a smart ass...and I bet they won't run around at code red with no ID ever again.

Tastes like victory.

I guess the lesson here is, if you want to see SOP enforced and abided by, play roles that allow you to enforce SOP. Lead by example and others will start to follow suit.

Edited by ZN23X
  • Like 8

@ZN23X I tend to do that the more and more the person wants to be a little shit and try to test my patience.

@Nethlafin Nope. The best part of knowing SoP and Space Law etc, is that you can do this without having an admin bwoinking you if you are smart enough. Unless the shitter salts to the admins.

Edited by Jovaniph
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, NethIafin said:

@ZN23X and no admin bwoinked you? daaaaamn

I've been bwoinked for this but never gotten in trouble for it. It's a salty person complaining to an admin (probably with the same attitude they've been giving me while arresting them) vs me with a calm demeanor and a clear explanation of my actions.

All I'm doing is following SOP and Space Law.

Edited by ZN23X
  • Like 2

One thing that I generally notice...

Geneticists never follow their SoP.

Actually, most engineers don't either. They'll just grab their tools, a hardsuit, and go start on random crap.

Edited by Desolate
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Saul Argon said:

I would go a step further than that, "SOP should not be looked at in a vacuum, and context should always be considered. Failure to do so is punishable by demotion" though the second part would only be necessary for command and security SoP as those are the most often broken.

I fully agree with this.

About every round, more than half the engineers won't follow SoP either. Many know they can get away of being fired and would only take the job for the tools, access, and hardsuit to mess around. I can't really mentions all the reasons why, but they will fully disregard SoP.

Edited by Jovaniph

OP modified with identified issues.

I should also point out: please do not refer to the following or not of SOP. That is not the purpose of this thread.

Whether or not SOP is followed or enforced is not the scope of this update, this is merely to find shortcomings of SOP in regards to changes to the game since SOP was implemented.

• Like 1

Well, that's what I mean though Tully... I mean, you look at geneticists not following SoP, and 9/10 times they're not punished for it, let alone told about it. No enforcement or mention of guidelines would kind've make it redundant to have lines in it right? Genetics is the one's supposed to be manning the cloning, that never happens, no one ever does anything about it, so does it need to be in the SoP at that point?

Ripped from SOP:

The Geneticist is not permitted to ignore Cloning, and must provide Clean SE Injectors when required, as well as humanized animals if required for Surgery. In addition, the Geneticist must, together with Chemists and Medical Doctors, make sure that Cloning is stocked with Biomass

The Geneticists are not required by SOP to do the cloning themselves, only provide Monkeys for Biomass and brain transplants, and clean SEs if required (which is a moot point with Mutadone).

Captain should be bound by HoP's SOP in regards to hiring, transferring, and demoting policy. Nowhere does it say that the Captain is not allowed to hire karma-locked jobs, unless I was mistaken.

A frequent issue I see with engineering is their ability to creep into science and medical's domain using the tech storage. The construction area frequently gets filled with chem dispensers, cryotubes, R&D consoles, protolathes, mech fabricators, ect. I had a round not to long ago where me and the NTR investigated engineering after security found out engineering was producing their own mechs. We came in to find a set up such as the one previously mentioned. We both reviewed SOP, and found that there was nothing in SOP that would cover engineering building these machines. An addition to each SOP book that might help would be what duties, items, machines, actions, ect. that fall under a department's care.

Better Security SOP on what to do with vampires and changelings would be appreciated. Does CC want them taken alive if possible, or should they go to the chopping block no matter what?

An amendment to LSOP on brigging procedures saying when to use processing would be nice. A huge problem with security is processing glut, as officers will bring prisoners with simple crimes into processing, so they can stare at them in a chair for ten minutes. There seems to be an idea that all prisoners must go through processing, and that taking a prisoner directly to their cell to process them there is against SOP. This is wrong of course, but it does highlight a problem with LSOP. I think the processing process should be more strictly defined, especially when it comes to the use of the processing room.

I would actually be in favor of removing any mention of the processing room when it comes to brigging, as I think it creates the idea that processing must be used. Frequently, prisoners who actually should be held in processing for up to ten minutes while the evidence rolls in, aren't in the brig with a confirmed crime. It's for people like suspected vampires, alleged fights or thefts, breaking into places but no definitive proof yet, ect. 

No one uses civil disputes.

We don't have xenoarchology. We only have the research outpost so people can start cults there anyways, a feature I would love to see removed.

Firing an assistant is like telling paint to dry. Nothing really changes.

I'm in favor of making the IAA under the joint responsibility of the Magistrate and NTR, considering the amount of overlap that the IAA has.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use