Non RNG disarm.

Nayser

I'm sick and tired of randomness of disarm in this game and RNG in general... Not even shields will protect me from first-try-disarm-knockdown and i can chase some one disarming him 15 times and they will keep going. Pain.

I suggest we add a thing i call "balance meter". It could be invisible or visible in status.

This is how it would work:

Each player has 100 balance, balance recharges each tick.

When player has 30 or less balance he will drop things in hand, when it hits 0 player will be knocked down and when he gets up balance is restored to 100.

Certain things like armor, shields and some melee weapons will decrease damage to balance.

A disarm intent will damage the balance for 30 and other weapons with chance to stun will have equal in power balance damage but they will be able to make some one drop his weapon only if you aim at hand that has something in it.

Basicly this system i came up with means you have to disarm more than once quickly to make it work. What seems unbalanced can be fixed by changing numbers AKA how much balance regened per tick and so on.

The current disarming discourages from using melee weapons as it is never  guaranteed you won't get knocked on your ass in one click to be helplessly butchered by your own weapon.

*flashbacks from tf2 and it's high crit chance melee weapons*

• Like 2

Seems like a much better system then the RNG we currently have, if a coder was willing to take on the project.

This sounds like something that should and could be implemented not as its own value, but by usage of the stamina value, which would be a lot more openly available and obvious to the players already as it's already implemented. The only suggestion would be to make stamina its own user interface icon rather than part of the health status (last I checked, if you take stamina damage, your little icon will change to reflect this).

Edited by Twinmold

34 minutes ago, Twinmold said:

This sounds like something that should and could be implemented not as it's own value, but by usage of the stamina value, which would be a lot more openly available and obvious to the players already as it's already implemented. The only suggestion would be to make stamina it's own user interface icon rather than part of the health status (last I checked, if you take stamina damage, your little icon will change to reflect this).

I just typed up essentially this same thing then saw Twin beat me to it. Just make disarm act like a physical disabled beam from an energy gun (I'd say make it WEAKER than this per hit, but same concept.) I don't know if low stamina makes you drop items (prior to knockdown) but it obviously knocks you down eventually.

This just also makes sense realistically because generally anyone with a weapon in their hand should be superior to someone with no weapon, unless you are some sort of martial arts master or something. This would make weapons more...important...and benefic sec and antags alike. Sec won't have to worry about walking around with their gun drawn at code red because some civilian might want to "teach them a lesson" by disarming them. Nuke ops with a esword won't have to worry about an assistant pushing then over and slaying them with their own weapon.

Removing RNG disarm would eliminate what is probably the most abused combat mechanic by people who want to be shitters. Anyone who is mad about it being changed to something more measured is probably one of the people who enjoys being shitters. Nobody cares what you think because you just enjoy trolling people to satisfy your teenage angst anyways. Go play Call of Duty and scream expletives at your fellow degenerates :P

...and you are correct...when your stamina is drained, currently the health UI will go yellow and red as if you are damaged, but it recovers quickly once the stamina damage stops.

Though...be careful what you wish for. Right now it's annoying when people spam disarm due to the knockdown and item drop. I can just imagine greytide intentionally spamming disarm to make people just trying to get from A to B move slower or just to "lock down" someone to be an ass. Much like a clown that keeps dragging someone on and off a banana.

Edited by ZN23X
  • Like 2

@ZN23X Disarm spamming someone as is will already make it difficult for someone to get between point A and B or has the potential to lock someone down. If when the person gets up from knockdown like that they have 100% stamina again, after the stun time is done, they'll get up and be able to run, as disarm stamina damage would not stack in this case. How the stun time is calculated, however, may adjust how things work, though. I couldn't say for sure without practical usage of such an application. People already disarm spam just to be a shit to someone else. Nothing would change here and is more an administrative thing as it's not really possible to code people not to be little shits to others without 're-education'.

30 minutes ago, Purpose2 said:

@Twinmold the stamina thing is interesting... @Anticept doesn't stop talking about Stamina replacing stunbased combat.

Meaning all stuns in general? THAT sounds VERY interesting!

Makes sense too. Lethals damage health. Non lethals damage stamina.

Edited by ZN23X

Really, it'd just be making the stamina icon reflect only stamina damage, and health icon only health damage. I believe some other servers already have this, and as much as I don't like saying it, I think /tg/ is one of them, so getting something like this implemented might be really easy, for display purposes, at least. It'd also be more user-friendly, as people won't think they are taking damage from stamina attacks and won't disproportionately respond back with actual attacks as easily, at least for newer players where it can be difficult to know what's going on.

Edited by Twinmold

Yeah many of the other servers have already moved over to a stamina model. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but maybe I'll spend a week on one of those servers, get a feel for it, and port what I like about the system.

• Like 1

If it takes shorter than it does to handcuff someone, I'm fine with it.

On the topic of stamina, goon has a stamina system, and I think /tg/ does so too. I'm more familiar with goon, and I can say that their stamina system adds a level of complexity to combat that's really fun to play with. Punching does more stamina damage than brute damage on goon, and disarming people there isn't as reliable in combat as it is here. It leads to people typically going for a few hits and maybe a critical hit, instead of just spamming disarm. Hero assistants are usually fucked against good melee or ranged weapons, but those who can dodge and strafe are still rewarded.

Edited by FPK

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use