space werewolves

apneaman

So we have vampires, why not  werewolves. Probably been asked before but hey i had a fun idea.

Background-

An unknown infection that has been known to turn people into a bloodthirsty beast at the turn of a lunar cycle. The beast known as a werewolve is strong fast and has a ferocious unpredictable nature.they are also known to crave the hearts of their prey. The infected have little control of themselves and will turn on even their best friend in a violent rampage. Survivors of an attack will eventually turn into the beast themselves.

Mechanics-

One member of the crew is infected. The goal is to consume x amount of hearts and escape. The werewolve is faster than the crew and has a deadly melee attack. Will take damage and be slowed down but will rengenerate over time. can only be killed for good with high amounts of silver.

I had 2 ideas for the trigger for transforming.

Timer: a set time that the player doesnt see but gets prompts before transforming e.x. "your heart races" "you feel hot" "your body hurts" and stays transformed for a duration of time before reverting.

Solar: pair it with the solar movement  so during a northern aspect they transform and any other time they are human. (Unsure how long a solar cycle is)

Eating: make consume heart a grab action that takes a while. Target must be deceased first.

Infection:

Attacking another player spreads the infection. They slowly will get sick and eventually turn. However werewolves aren't friendly and will attack each other like anyone else on site.

Option for a cure: a high dose of silver within a certain time of the infection.

Gameplay:

Most of the gameplay is hiding your infection from others and making sure you dont get seen transforming. Other players will see your later stages of transformation "x begins to shake"

While transformed you run faster than normal. have a strong brute attack and see in the dark. When in normal form you are vulnerable but can still only be killed by silver and will not be able to consume hearts.

Security play a similar manhunt style to a vampire/ changeling. They are easily killed by silver but will only be slowed down and damaged by other means.

• Like 1

Firstly super cool idea!

Now sadly. I have to clip your wings a little, like most things of this nature good luck finding a coder who is willing to code this. It's deeply annoying I know, but if you want this added you need to bait a coder or two. Otherwise it's probably gonna stay on the suggestions forum eternally. (Like a number of suggestions I have made, I know the feeling!)

2 minutes ago, FlattestGuitar said:

Just the other day I talked in dchat about the new thingy I'm working on implementing which just so happens to have werewolves that eat human hearts.

K thx.

You're in luck my friend!

Edited by Saul Argon

23 minutes ago, FlattestGuitar said:

Just the other day I talked in dchat about the new thingy I'm working on implementing which just so happens to have werewolves that eat human hearts.

K thx.

I basically just got thinking after that recent thread about vampires

25 minutes ago, Saul Argon said:

Firstly super cool idea!

Now sadly. I have to clip your wings a little, like most things of this nature good luck finding a coder who is willing to code this. It's deeply annoying I know, but if you want this added you need to bait a coder or two. Otherwise it's probably gonna stay on the suggestions forum eternally. (Like a number of suggestions I have made, I know the feeling!)

If i understood anything about this code id help but for now i like just throwing out ideas

I'd be wiling to attempt to code this if it's flushed out more. It'd give me an excuse to start making features again.

That being said, I still need to run a couple of bugfix PRs and the like to get me back into the swing of paracode quirks and my new comps dev environment.

Just be aware that no large feature survives first contact with the maintainers unscathed. While the concept is there, details and mechanics are most likely not concrete until a full mechanical overview is seen and reviewed.

As for my suggestions in relation to how mechanics could be implemented, they are as follows:

1. Defines for days: Something like this is inherently hard to balance, therefore, keeping all the numbers such as damage counts, min stamina, transformation times and modes in a single file or group of files will give admins and maintainers sufficient levers to keep things in a good state.

2. Eat Verb based off transformed flag: You'll already have a flag in place to toggle transformation, so just gate the verb with it.

3. Implement Werewolf bite as a high stealth disease until fully manifested: Lets you make use of the preexisting disease infrastructure with a non-transmittable variant (kinda like nanomachines)

4. While transformed, make incoming damage go to stamina and set a minimum: This lets you take advantage of the slowing effects already in place on the stamina system, lets objects still stick in wounds and all the other fun stuff of combat, but with a tunable number for how slow you should go.

5. Make silver do different things depending on amount and exposure method: Getting pelted by a silver bar wouldn't leave much silver behind to make you feel terrible, so it would make sense to not have it hurt much more than normal. throwing the reagent on them would obviously hurt, but perhaps should behave more like a stun than a method of killing as short of extreme reactions or prolonged exposure, allergens are primarily an irritant rather than a killer. Finally, ingesting or injecting the reagent would likely act as a heavy toxin, with damage per processing tick determined by a datum value.

6. It's worth noting that people will go for decapitation to solve any problem they can't toolbox: This would need a defense against the strategy of stunprod -> cuff -> apply cutting instrument vigorously to neck. Perhaps werewolf could be a new mob entirely with identity determined by transformation state and the mob that it was based from. In other words, when a werewolf completes the disease phase, make a new mob, transfer player consciousness and storage into new mob, qdel old mob. this new mob has it's base icons from the mob it was spawned from, and it's transformed state based on the species of the original mob.

• Like 1

Nice if its a possibility i reckon it could work really well.

When it comes to day cycle. I think as a game mechanic having all infected turn at the same time would be more effective and would add a bit more balance instead of individual timers that would mean staggered transform times.

Instead of defining full lunar cycle what about the possibility of pairing it to the round timer setting a trigger event of a transform verb, which would alert all infected true that they are transforming basically setting off a 30 second timer till they completely turn. Then set that trigger cycle at a set time say every 8-10 minutes and triggering again after a set , have that on a cycle.

Again i know very little about this code just flinging an idea.

Edited by apneaman
  • Like 1

I love this idea...it has a mixture of multiple antags to it. The uncontrollable transformation feels like blob. The werewolf has the violence of a powerful vampire or ling, the "human form" needs to deal with the stealth and vulnerability if a weaker antag. It sounds like it would be fun as hell to play.

I'm just imagining every time someone transforms them being like "AAAAAOOOOOOOOOOO!" howling over comms and everyone being like "Oh god, shits about to get real"

2 hours ago, ZN23X said:

I love this idea...it has a mixture of multiple antags to it. The uncontrollable transformation feels like blob. The werewolf has the violence of a powerful vampire or ling, the "human form" needs to deal with the stealth and vulnerability if a weaker antag. It sounds like it would be fun as hell to play.

I'm just imagining every time someone transforms them being like "AAAAAOOOOOOOOOOO!" howling over comms and everyone being like "Oh god, shits about to get real"

I think if everyone changes at once it makes for crazy scenarios. Say a bunch of infected are in medbay getting treated then ding all turn and go ballistic. Also adds the whole forced antag feel as you have a narrow window to kill eat and escape so you can hide but also have to avoid other infected so they dont eat you. Also could make for some good sec/xeno RP

• Like 1

I'm going to be up front: I do not believe this fits into the spaceman world and do not like what it proposes.

Wizards are there for comic relief more than anything. Cults, Shadowlings, and Vampires have decent lore to them and maintain a sci-fi feel and mechanics.

This, in my opinion, swings too far into the fantasy realm of fiction. But, that aside, I doubt it will be that great of an RP thing. People will still greentext/validhunt/whatever.

Also, what's with the fixation on Earth-based stuff? Can't we get something mildly original to the ss13 universe? Shadowlings do this nicely.

Call me crazy, but something about this whole business just screams "no" to me, regardless of why.

56 minutes ago, SomeGuy9283 said:

I'm going to be up front: I do not believe this fits into the spaceman world and do not like what it proposes.

Wizards are there for comic relief more than anything. Cults, Shadowlings, and Vampires have decent lore to them and maintain a sci-fi feel and mechanics.

This, in my opinion, swings too far into the fantasy realm of fiction. But, that aside, I doubt it will be that great of an RP thing. People will still greentext/validhunt/whatever.

Also, what's with the fixation on Earth-based stuff? Can't we get something mildly original to the ss13 universe? Shadowlings do this nicely.

Call me crazy, but something about this whole business just screams "no" to me, regardless of why.

See your point. easy fix,  its not a werewolf its a parasitic infection from a gateway world whose colony mysteriously collapsed after an archarlogical dig recovered a cask that housed a lifeform that causes violent mutations  aggression and cannibalisim in its host. 

Mainly interested in the playstyle it allows

Just, you can take the general inspiration from werewolf lore, but make them something different at the end of the day- something unique to SS13 and sci-fied

1 hour ago, apneaman said:

Call it vulpkanin rabies

No.

8 hours ago, SomeGuy9283 said:

Also, what's with the fixation on Earth-based stuff? Can't we get something mildly original to the ss13 universe?

Isn't SS13 already a casserole of stuff taken from various sci-fi entities? You could argue the "people will just green text/valid hunt" with literally any type of antag, whether it's already in the game or not. That's not a problem with what the antags are capable of, it's a player behaviour problem.

There is probably some garbage independent film somewhere but I'VE never heard of space werewolves before...so it would be unique in that regard :P

We can shape the lore in whatever fashion we want. Hell just like terror spiders, it can be a biological weapon created by the Syndicate.

• Like 1

OH GOD IT'S A DISNEY MOVIE TOO! THE HORROR! ABORT! ABORT!

Get ready to howl "NNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

Liv_and.Maddie.S01E21.jpg.13f8bd8810aaf6e6622f4441b7da88e2.jpg

Edited by ZN23X

On 4/14/2017 at 2:56 PM, SomeGuy9283 said:

This heresy needs to stop.

585.thumb.jpg.ec68dfe8d1316e305a3bc9dbc0b8a6ab.jpg

*flip

Edited by ZN23X
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use